Listing agent secrets.
There are a number of topics that your listing agent probably won’t discuss with you, or can’t properly explain. Here are several listing agent secrets that you need to know:
Your agent won’t sell your home
Your home will likely sell to a home buyer who is represented by a buyer agent. This notion is supported the 2016 National Association of REALTORS® Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers (nar.realtor), which reported that 88 percent of home buyers used an agent to buy a home. The remaining 12 percent of home buyers purchased through other means, including with the help of the listing agent, or even a FSBO. Although your listing agent may claim to have sold the most homes in the neighborhood, the truth may actually be that they are only facilitators. The listing agent secret is that the buyer agent who actually “sells” the home is labelled the “selling agent” by the industry.
Buyers are not finding homes in print
Print advertising no longer is the means of selling a home. More information from the 2016 National Association of REALTORS® Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers indicate that having a nice spread in a magazine, or posting open houses in the local paper is probably a sales ploy to get your listing. The Profile reported that home buyers reported how they found their home as follows (nar.realtor):
- Internet: 51%
- Real estate agent: 34%
- Yard sign/open house sign: 8%
- Friend, relative or neighbor: 4%
- Home builder or their agent: 2%
- Directly from sellers/Knew the sellers: 1%
- Print newspaper advertisement: 1%
Bigger is not better
Another one of your listing agent secrets is that the larger your agent’s brokerage or team, and having a high number of homes actively listed may actually be detrimental to your home sale! An empirical study by Shiawee X. Yang and Abdullah Yavaş (Bigger is Not Better: Brokerage and Time on the Market; The Journal of Real Estate Research; 1995, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 23-33) reported the following results:
- The amount of agent’s commission is not indicative of your home’s time on market;
- The size of the listing firm does not affect your home’s time on market;
- Homes listed and sold by the same firm (i.e., dual agency) does not reduce time on market;
- The more active listings your agent has, the longer your home may sit on the market because they do not devote to the time to your sale.
Yang and Yavaş suggest that the larger the listing firm, the more incentive to “cheat” days on market by circulating new listings within the firm before entering it in the MLS, which also increases the chances of a dual agency situation. “Private placement,” or pocket listings can have similar dual agency results.
Dual agency could cost you
One of the biggest listing agent secrets is dual agency. Chances are that your listing agent doesn’t totally understand dual agency, and therefor may not be able to explain how it affects your sale and potentially your sale price. The Maryland Real Estate Commission’s “Understanding Whom Real Estate Agents Represent” disclosure states:
“The possibility of dual agency arises when the buyer’s agent and the seller’s agent both work for the same real estate company…The real estate broker or the broker’s designee, is called the “dual agent.” Dual agents do not act exclusively in the interests of either the seller or buyer, and therefore cannot give undivided loyalty to either party. There may be a conflict of interest because the interests of the seller and buyer may be different or adverse.”
One of the listing agent secrets is that dual agency may not be beneficial to you, and can even lower your home sale price. There are a number of empirical studies that indicate conflicts of interest and other issues that arise out of dual agency. But a study by Joachim Zietz and Bobby Newsome (Agency Representation and the Sale Price of Houses; Journal of Real Estate Research; 2002, Vol 24, No 2 pp. 165-91) found that a home’s sale price drops about 3.7 percent when the listing and buyer agents are from the same firm. They stated:
“…the fact that buyers may obtain a lower price by engaging a buyer’s agent from the same ﬁrm as the listing agent raises the issue of whether or not the listing ﬁrm is shortchanging the seller. The evidence appears to suggest that the agency relationship between seller and listing agent may be compromised.”
By Dan Krell
Copyright © 2017
Original published at https://dankrell.com/blog/2017/04/06/listing-agent-secrets/
Disclaimer. This article is not intended to provide nor should it be relied upon for legal and financial advice. Readers should not rely solely on the information contained herein, as it does not purport to be comprehensive or render specific advice. Readers should consult with an attorney regarding local real estate laws and customs as they vary by state and jurisdiction. Using this article without permission is a violation of copyright laws.